DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILLING OMR APPLICATION
i) The application form is in Optical Machine Readable (OMR) format. That means a special machine reads only the dark bubbles that you make on the OMR sheet.
ii) Therefore do not scribble, smudge, cut, tear, or wrinkle the application form. Do not put any stray pencil marks anywhere on the application form. Do not write or place any mark over the barcodes.
iii) To guide you to fill the form correctly, we suggest the following:
- Take a photocopy of both sides of the blank OMR sheet and try to fill them. After making sure that the entries in this form are correct, you can start filling-in the original OMR and bubble the corresponding entries in the sheet, so that you may avoid errors while filling it. You should only send the filled original OMR form and NOT this photocopy form to us.
- While filling the OMR form, first enter the data in black ballpoint pen (avoid gel/ink/felt pen as it might smudge the form) in the boxes provided above each coding area and then bubble with HB pencil the corresponding letter in each column below each box for the machine to read.
- A sample filled OMR application form is given in APPENDIX-9 for showing how the application form appears after bubbling correctly. If there is a discrepancy between the written data and the bubbled data in your application, the bubbled data will be taken as final.
iv) If, by mistake you darkened a wrong bubble and wish to change it, erase the darkened bubble completely using a pencil eraser, and then darken the correct bubble. Do not use any whitener to erase a darkened bubble.
v) Your application must be complete in all respects.
You should fill all the fields. Incomplete applications and applications filled in a language other than English will be summarily rejected.
Step-by-step instruction to fill the OMR application form are given below.
S.No. 1: Name of the candidate
Write your name in capital letters as given in your 10th class certificate or equivalent. Write each single letter in each of the boxes one by one. Leave only one blank box between consecutive words of your name. Do not use any dots in between initials. If your name has several initials, leave one blank after each of them. Darken the appropriate alphabet bubble underneath each letter of your name. If your name requires more than 34 boxes, darken the bubble marked '+' in the 35th column of the top first row.
S.No. 2: Category
The codes for different categories are as follows.
Other Backward Classes (Non-Creamy Layer)
Other Backward Classes (Creamy Layer)
Write your category code with ballpoint pen in the space provided. Darken the appropriate bubble against the category you belong to.
S.No. 3: Gender
Darken the appropriate bubble.
S.No. 4: Nationality
If you are an Indian citizen living in India then darken the bubble against "INDIAN".
If you hold a foreign passport or hold either Person of Indian Origin (PIO) or Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) status then darken the bubble against ‘‘FOREIGN’’.
S.No. 5: Year of passing QE (10+2 or equivalent) and required minimum marks
If you are appearing for 10+2 or an equivalent qualifying examination for the first time in 2010, you should darken the bubble "APPEARING IN 2010". You need not darken any other bubble below, in this item. If you have passed 10+2 or an equivalent qualifying examination for the first time in 2009, or after October 1, 2008 you should darken the bubble corresponding to "PASSED IN 2009".
If you have passed 10+2 or an equivalent qualifying examination for the first time earlier than October 1,2008 you should darken the bubble corresponding to "Passed Earlier than 1stOct2008".
If you have obtained the minimum required marks (60% for GE/OBC/DS or 55% for SC/ST/PD) in the first attempt itself, no need to darken any bubble below, in this item.
If you have obtained the minimum required marks (60% for GE/OBC/DS or 55% for SC/ST/PD) by attempting an "improvement examination", darken the bubble corresponding to the year of the improvement examination.
S.No. 6: This attempt at JEE and year of first attempt
If you are writing JEE for the first time darken the bubble corresponding to "FIRST".
If it is your second attempt bubble "SECOND". In this case, also darken the appropriate bubble corresponding to the year of your first attempt at JEE.
S.No. 7: Sub-category and type of disability
If you have any physical disability, then darken the bubble against PD; if you belong to the DS category, then darken the bubble marked DS; else bubble "NONE".
If you have darkened the bubble against PD and the type of disability is related to poor eye sight with more than 40% disability, then darken the bubble against "Poor Eye Sight". In case of all other physical disabilities darken the bubble corresponding to "OTHERS".
If you have poor eyesight and require a question paper with enlarged font then you must send a request letter, in the format given in APPENDIX-10, along with the application form.
S.No. 8: Date of birth
Enter the date, month, and year of your birth as per the English calendar and as recorded in your 10th class or equivalent certificate. Use numerals 01 to 31 for DATE, 01 to 12 (corresponding to January - December) for MONTH, and the last two digits of the YEAR of birth (the digits '19' is already there). For example, if you were born on 6th March 1992, then the date should be entered as follows: "06 03 92". Darken the appropriate bubbles for the date, month, and year in each column.
S.No. 9: Pincode of permanent place of residence
Write the PINCODE of your permanent place of residence in the space provided. Darken the bubble corresponding to the appropriate numeral underneath each digit.
S.No. 10: Choice of examination cities
APPENDIX-4 gives the list of the cities/towns and their corresponding codes where the examination centres are located. Select two different city codes both from the same zone. Your first preference must be entered under CHOICE-I and the second under CHOICE-II. Then darken the bubble corresponding to the appropriate numeral (code) in each column.
S.No. 11: Choice of counselling centre
If you belong to GE category skip this. If you belong to SC, ST, OBC, PD or DS category or holding a foreign passport, then darken the bubble corresponding to the institute where you want to be counselled.
S.No. 12: Candidate's name and complete mailing address
Write the complete postal address to which any communication is to be sent from December 2009 to July 2010. The address must include your name, phone number, c/o name (if required), and other details, including the PINCODE. Indicate mobile number/land-line number with the STD code, and e-mail address. Please note that this block will be machine scanned, and, therefore, it should be written very clearly in CAPITAL LETTERS using a black ballpoint pen only. E-mail address may contain small block letters. Your address must not overflow this box. Do NOT give the address of your school / college or any other institute here.
S.No. 13: Photograph
Your photograph in colour should be taken with white background preferably wearing dark-coloured clothes. The approximate size of the photograph should be 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm (taken not earlier than two months). Please write your name and application number on the reverse side of the photograph. This will help matching your photograph with your application form in case it gets detached from the form during processing. Paste the photograph (use good quality gum, not glue stick or stapler) in the box provided. Do not sign on the photograph and do not get it attested. Keep two more copies of the photograph with you for future use.
S.No. 14: Signature of the candidate
Put your usual signature in black ballpoint pen within the box provided. Your signature must not overflow or touch the border of the box provided. Your signature establishes your identity. Hence, do not merely write your name in capital letters. This may lead to rejection of your application.
S.No. 15: Name of one parent/guardian
Write the name of your father/mother or guardian as mentioned in your 10th class or equivalent certificate. Write the name of your father/mother or guardian, even if no such name is mentioned in the 10th class certificate. Write a single letter in each box. Leave only one blank box between consecutive words of the name. Do not write dots after initials; leave a blank box. Even if the name has several initials, leave one blank after each of them. Darken the bubble corresponding to the appropriate letter underneath each letter of the name. If the name of the parent/guardian requires more than 34 boxes, darken the bubble marked '+' in the 35th column of the first row.
S.No. 16: Relationship of the person at S.No.15 with the candidate
Indicate your relationship with the parent/guardian named at S.No.15 by darkening the appropriate bubble.
S.No. 17: Place of 10th class schooling
Darken the appropriate bubble.
S.No. 18: Question paper language
During the examination question papers can be provided either in English or Hindi, according to the candidate's choice. If you wish to obtain the question paper in Hindi darken the bubble corresponding to "HINDI" otherwise darken the bubble against "ENGLISH". This choice, once exercised, cannot be changed at any later stage.
If no option is exercised, question paper in English language only will be provided.
S.No. 19: Type of preparation
If you are preparing for JEE-2010 on your own, darken the bubble against "SELF" else, darken "OTHER". This information is used only for post-examination statistics.
S.No. 20: Board of qualifying examination
Darken the appropriate bubble.
S.No. 21: Cell number/phone number with STD code
Write the cell number or land-line number with STD code in the box provided through which you can be contacted or a message can be sent to you. Darken the bubbles corresponding to the appropriate numerals below the cell/ phone number.
S.No. 22: Mother tongue
Choose and write the code corresponding to your mother tongue from the table below. Darken the appropriate bubbles for the code.
S.No. 23: Year of passing 10th class
Write the year of passing your 10th Class or equivalent examination and darken the bubbles corresponding to the appropriate numerals.
S.No. 24: Occupation of parent/guardian
Darken the appropriate bubble corresponding to occupation/service of your parent/guardian.
S.No. 25: Parent's educational background
Darken the appropriate bubble.
S.No. 26: Total annual income of parents/guardian
The annual income should be as on March 31, 2009. In case both parents are employed, the combined annual income is to be indicated. Darken the appropriate bubble.
S.No. 27: Declaration by the candidate
The candidate must sign the declaration. The place and date should also be entered. The two signatures, the one below this declaration and the other in the box below your photograph (S.No.14), should be identical. Applications without signatures or with dissimilar signatures at the two places will be treated as incomplete and rejected. The declaration by the candidate must be countersigned by parent/guardian. Write the name of parent/guardian in the space provided.
VIII. OTHER INFORMATION RELATED TO OMR APPLICATION FORM
You must take a photo copy of this filled-in form duly signed with photograph, etc., and keep it safely with you till the admission procedure is complete. You must also make a note of your application number separately. You have to quote your application number in all future correspondence.
1. The check-list of items to be sent to IIT JEE offices in different zones
- Completed original OMR application form with photo and signatures.
- Duly attested photocopy of your 10th class or equivalent examination pass certificate where your date of birth is mentioned clearly. In case, the pass certificate is not available, enclose your admit card and mark sheet of 10th class examination. In case, the 10th class certificate does not mention your date of birth, enclose a copy of an authenticated document mentioning date of birth.
- Attested copies of category/sub-category certificates
i) Caste certificate in the format as given in the Information Brochure (see APPENDIX-2) for SC/ ST candidates. Certificates in any other format will not be accepted.
ii) If you belong to DS category, enclose a copy of the relevant certificate issued by a competent authority in the Directorate of Resettlement and Rehabilitation, New Delhi (under the Ministry of Defence, Govt. of India) or in the Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India, as applicable.
- Write your application number in copies of all certificates that you enclose.
- The institute copy of the bank challan (if applicable).
2. Procedure to put the forms in the envelope
- Write all relevant information on the envelope carefully.
- Duly completed OMR application form should be folded only along the original fold (shown in the middle by a dotted line). Make sure that your photograph, your signature and the BARCODE must be on the outer side of the fold.
- Do not staple or paste together the Application Form and the attested copies of certificates. Keep the photo copies of certificates on the inner side of the folded OMR form.
• While putting the enclosures into the envelope, make sure the BARCODE and the application number on the OMR form are visible through the window of the envelope. This will help us to scan the BARCODE without opening the envelope, as soon as it is received in our office for quick processing.
3. Where and how to send the completed application form
- The envelope containing the completed OMR application form and enclosures should be sent to the IIT located in the zone where you wish to appear for the examination (irrespective of the institute at which you want to seek admission).
- The contact addresses of the zonal IITs to which you should send your envelope with the application are given on the back cover of this brochure.
- The envelope must be sent by Registered Post/ Speed Post only. Do not send it through ordinary post or private courier services. Please keep the postal receipt for future reference.
- One can also submit in person the completed application form at any of the JEE offices at the IITs. Application forms in IIT Delhi zone may be submitted in person at Union Bank of India, SDA Branch, Hauz-Khas, New Delhi-16.
- In IIT Madras Zone, the completed application form can be submitted at the same branch of Indian Bank from where you have purchased the form.
4. Last date for receipt of the completed application form
The last date for receipt of the completed Off-line application at the IITs is 5:00 PM on December 19, 2009. Any application received after this date will not be accepted. Office of JEE is not responsible for any postal delay or irregularity or loss during postal transit.
5. Proof of sending the completed application form
- No acknowledgement card will be sent.
- No claim of submission of the application will be entertained unless it is supported with the photo copies of the postal receipt and of the filled OMR application form.
- No correspondence with regard to the application, eligibility, and admit card will be entertained unless the application number is quoted.
- You can check the status of your application through our websites/SMS/IVRS (see APPENDIX-5) from January 1,2010.